Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Experiencing behavioral problems

This past Friday was our last day of full time teaching. Through all of our classes of students here at Sotogrande International School we all have experienced different languages, cultures, routines and especially for me, behaviors. I have a student that is being tested for ADHD and behavioral problems. When I’m teaching, she will get up in the middle of my lesson and wander around somewhere in the classroom. There are lots of signs for ADHD and behavioral problems. I have learned a lot of different teaching strategies that have helped with her behavioral problems. One strategy is where I have a treasure bucket and I put in a treasure when students are sitting nicely on the carpet or just when they are following the Golden rules. I say their name followed by a reason why I’m putting in a treasure in. This student also has a mat that she sits on, on the carpet, which has a number seven on it. This really helps because the mat is right in front of my red chair. When the rest of my students are sitting on the carpet and she isn’t yet, I count down from five, four…etc. This is a great technique that I also used at my other student teaching placement. My cooperating teacher made a sticker chart for her behavior during the three daily playtimes. If she were behaving sensibly she would be able to put a sticker of her choice in the column. I know Christa had this same technique in her classroom with a student and it worked pretty well. This past week a physiologist came in to observe her. It was kind of nerve racking having him come in but my cooperating teacher reminded me that “he’s just here to observe the student not you.” After observing the student he told my cooperating teacher that I was handling it very well.
I have learned a lot of different techniques and how to enforce good behavior within my classroom. Although this was a difficult teaching experience I’m glad to have had the opportunity to work with this student. She is very funny and has a great spirit. Every year a teacher will have a different set of students with different learning abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment