Friday, November 18, 2011

Getting the best out of students: The roles of an effective teacher.


“Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.” 
Carol Welch



For the past few years, this quote has summed up the purpose and necessity of physical education for me.  Focusing on one of my disciplines, it is crucial to address three domains within every single PE lesson: psychomotor (physical), cognitive (mental), and affective (emotional).  Four years of schooling and active participation in a national PE and Health association has helped to establish my ideals and goals as a physical educator.  At the same time, my philosophy was still not exactly nailed down.  When the opportunity arose to student teach in Spain, I recognized it as the chance of a lifetime to practice teaching a very controversial and challenging discipline in a completely different environment.


My experiences as a teacher outside of America have instilled in me several key roles of a physical educator that will ultimately develop physically educated students – students who will have the knowledge, skills, and value of being active and fit for life.
1.     Deliver lessons with activities that engage ALL students, increasing their curiosity and motivation to participate and learn more
2.     Develop strong relationships with students that establish trust and safety, encouraging risk-taking and cooperative learning
3.     Consistently expect the most out of every student, bringing the best out of every student



Regardless of where I teach or what I teach, these tasks are part of my mission.  In order to effectively develop each of the three domains mentioned previously, objectives are developed for every lesson within these areas that guide students to a much broader goal for each unit.  I learned in college the most effective ways to teach the psychomotor, or physical, domain.  However, during this student teaching placement, I am learning to more effectively connect PE to every day life and other disciplines by asking higher-level questions.  Here are some examples of questions that accompany themes for various units:
Primary Years Tag Rugby: What are the three most important ways to successfully work together as a team while passing with a partner? Why do we always need to perform these tasks?
Low Middle Years Basketball: Think of your favorite hobby… Relate it to basketball - Why must we always begin something with very basic and easy skills and build upon them?
Upper Middle Years Basketball: Think of the debates in your other classes currently.  Relate basketball to the debates.  Why do you need to be an expert of both offense and defense or the pro’s and con’s of any given controversy/situation?

Ultimately, I think the biggest difference between effective and ineffective teachers has nothing to do with the type of school at which they teach or where they are in the world.  Their ability to effectively teach Physical Education depends upon the ability to develop a safe environment, encourage full participation and risk-taking, and make connections that intrigue students.  These jobs can seem daunting and sometimes impossible at times; however, when completed effectively, teaching is incredibly rewarding. I am learning how to become an effective teacher here primarily thanks to the incredible mentor I have found in my cooperating teacher who always pushes me to take risks and try something new with my students – no matter how crazy my ideas seem at the time!  I have heard many people comment that students at IB schools are smarter than others.  I would strongly argue that the students are not smarter.  Instead, the teachers are trained to bring the best out in every student.  I am so excited to take home with me the skills to be a great teacher and share them with colleagues.  

- Samantha Broderius

No comments:

Post a Comment